STS Discussion Forum

Welcome user: Guest. You need to log in before you can post a message.

Topic-icon Playford Dancing Map

2 years 2 months ago #24 by Liz Stanton
Liz Stanton created the topic: Playford Dancing Map
I am trying to trace a picture and I am asking as many people as possible to help me in my quest.

Attached is a photograph of a copy of the picture. The original was created in 1930 by Elsie Matley Moore who lived in Greyfriars in Worcester, which is now a National Trust property where I volunteer. She painted it for the English Folk Dance Society and it shows the names of many Playford dances centred round the river Thames. Evidently the picture was copied and posters were sold around dance clubs in the 1940s, some still exist...but where is the original????? The EFDS haven't got it and have no record of it, Greyfriars haven't got it ... anybody any ideas? A few people have told me that many years ago the EFDS ran an article about the painting, does anybody remember seeing this? Without a vague date to work from the Vaughan Williams Memorial Library are reluctant to go through every back copy of the magazine!

If you know anything about this picture I would be grateful if you could let me know.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #26 by Bob Barrett
Bob Barrett replied to the topic: Playford Dancing Map
Here is the picture that Liz refers to

[img ]images/misc/PlayfordMap.jpg

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #27 by Bob Barrett
Bob Barrett replied to the topic: Playford Dancing Map
Liz has now sent us a better photograph. Click here to download.
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Bob Barrett.

More
2 years 1 month ago #28 by John Meechan
John Meechan replied to the topic: Playford Dancing Map
I have seen this before. I'm not sure whether it was ihe original or a print. Was it at Halsway Manor?

More
2 years 1 month ago #29 by Liz Stanton
Liz Stanton replied to the topic: Playford Dancing Map
Yes, Halsway do have a copy the same as the one I've posted. They have no idea where the original might be despite trying to trace it several years ago.

More
1 year 11 months ago #33 by Liz Stanton
Liz Stanton replied to the topic: Playford Dancing Map
I have found another copy of this picture which shows that it originally had a border. We've had a high resolution scan done and here is a link to it, it is big - 44mb
1drv.ms/f/s!Ai9q_te1HnG01WGHducy3Qt7DyHb

More